Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Junie B. Jones and a lesson in parenting.

I was quite bothered this morning. Kat was trying to sound out the word: brains. Then I heard her say something about bashing brains. And then fist was being thrown into the mix. I'm thinking to myself...WTF?? She says it's her Junie B. Jones book she had gotten from Adora. I started reading, trying to figure out what was going on in this book. This all happened while we were getting out of the car for daycare. I did take the book in question with me to work...so I could do some "research". Below is my post in the Parent Forum:

"How'd you like me to bash your brains in, you 09/26 08:42:28

Ummm, this is a sentence in my daughters Junie B. Jones book. "Junie B. Jones and her Big Fat Mouth"
I don't care for this language but what do I do? Not let her read it? Is it that big of a deal?

What are your thoughts?????



I got some interesting feedback. http://forums.craigslist.org/?ID=49841718



"Talk about what she is reading. Ask her 09/26 08:48:13

if she feels what that person said was nice or right. Ask her if she has said anything like that to anyone or if anyone has ever said anything like that to her. Ask her how she thinks if feels to both say something like that and to have it said to her. Books with themes or dialog that make us uncomfortable are great jumping off points for conversations with our kids."


Duh, why didn't I think of that?? I ALWAYS seek different perspectives. Always.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 4:22 PM, Blogger Green said...

I was always allowed to read everything in the world that I wanted. Including V.C. Andrews (Flowers in the Attic) with a brother and sister becoming sexual with each other, all in seventh grade.

A friend of my mom's told her (as a librarian) that she didn't think the book was appropriate for me and my mother very politely brushed her off. I was told to come to her with any questions I might have, and it was YEARS later that I learned the word "incest" but it was no big deal. That being said I had a very clear understanding that I was reading fiction and things in books are not things for real life all the time.

If I ever have kids, I'll probably let them read whatever they want also.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home